Saturday, November 15, 2008

Is it just my kids.....



I look at sweet Baby O when she smiles at me and looks at me like I am the best thing since breast milk (hey that is the best thing she knows so far), and it makes me remember all the times that I had moments like that with my 2 other children...... their sweet little faces, chubby hands and warm smiles that just lite up their faces.....





and then I snap out of it and hear one of them popping off to the other, screaming usually ensues and then I am beckoned with the deafening "MOMMMMMM!!!!!" , and then one or both of them tries to blame the other one for all the things wrong in the universe.....





What happened to my babies... my sweet babies that never back talked, never looked at me like I was the most uncool, meanest mom on the planet..... I may not be perfect, but I know that I have done a good job raising them... I have had several people tell me that my children are so well behaved and well mannered.... then we get home.... and all HE** brakes loose....





Don't get me wrong, they love each other, but they can turn on a dime and want to kill each other....


"Mom, she's making too much noise"...


"Mom, he tripped me in the hallway"...


"Mom, she keeps taking my stuff".....


"Mom, he won't stop bothering me"....


"Mom, she just hit me"....


"Mom, I hink he flung a booger on me"....





So what do I do?..... I have told them to be nice or leave each other alone.... I have punished, taken things away, sent them to their rooms, made them sit on the couch and hold hands for 30 minutes just so they had to be nice to one another..... there are days were I feel like all I do is get on to them .....



But then, it all changes and they start to play well together, they are getting along, actually being sweet towards one another, and I think that maybe I have gotten thru to them..... and then they prove me wrong by going at it again like cats and dogs...



I was an only child, so I have no idea what it is like to have a sibling and go thru that..... HELP!!!!!




Oh, and my son, who is about to turn 10 in a little over a week, suddenly has turned into a tween... attitude to spare..... and he thinks that I am completely stupid... he will ask me a question, I'll give him the answer, and then he'll go "No, I don't think that's it".... well how would he know, and don't ask me if you aren't going to believe me... he thinks that for every year he is getting older I am getting a few years dumber.... I just can't wait until he is a teenager... YEAH ME!!!!!

8 comments:

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

My girls went through the same thing and it use to drive me crazy.

I got to the point where I would make them both get in my closet and stay there until they talked things out and were civil to each other again. This seemed to work for me 'cause when they would start I'd say in the closet and it stopped. (they were 12 & 14 when I started it)

Now that they are 19 & 20 they are living together again and have had to re-learn how to do so. They both call me complaining about what the other did.

So I think it never stops!!

Jen said...

LOL they sound terribly NORMAL! And man, I am dreading the teen years, don't even scare me.

Thanks so much for your kind words on my blog!

Leiann said...

I totally understand the "your kids are so well behaved" thing. I get that all the time. But same as you, when they get home it's not so nice! They're crazy, but I love them!

Celine said...

Oh boy...I wish I had some suggestions Jen but I'm not there yet (no kids yet) so...But I feel your pain!

S Club Mama said...

Oh sweetie, they are really being normal. And it's totally not you, it's just this innate thing inside that makes them despise one another one second and be all lovey the next minute.

And, don't worry, I haven't begun watching any Christmas movies...I just felt so full that he was the only thing I could think of that could give a good visual. :)

Julie said...

My coworker told me when my kids were wee little babes that I HAD to keep a baby book so I would remember why I loved them. She was a wise woman.

tiarastantrums said...

too funny - I will BE trying out the holding hands for 30 minutes! I just do the give your sister a hug and tell her you love her.
The one thing we have been doing lately is to put a bandaide on their writs with the letter WWJD (what would Jesus do) to remind them to be nice. Works for now!

Covered In Crafts said...

LOL! I'm sorry but girl, you crack me up. They do grow up fast don't they? My little girl will sit through a wedding with no problems but as soon as we get in the car OMG! (hugs to you)