Friday, September 26, 2008

Chunky Potato Soup


It is no where near being cold here, but the other day I had a strong hankering for some Potato Soup.... so I looked thru all my recipes and found one that has been a hit in the past, and I really am trying to cook more since I am staying home now and it gives me such a feeling of accomplishment to make something that is edible and makes everyone happy...


It made almost everyone happy, except my 2 children, because they just "KNEW" they were not going to like and then we had to basically threaten them with eating Potato Soup for the rest of the week to get them to even eat the one bowl that I didn't even put that much in in the first place.... my kids wear me out sometimes....does that make me bad?



OK, here is what you need ....


6 red potatoes

4 cups water

1 small onion

6 Tablespoons butter

6 Tablespoons flour

6 cups milk

1 Teaspoon sugar

2 cups shredded cheese

1/2 pkg bacon, cooked and crumbled


(I forgot to take pictures of the ingredients, the before or the during... sorry)


1) Clean the potatoes ... this is personal preference if you leave the skins on, I do, put you can peel your potatoes if you want.... cut into 1 inch cubes.


2) Bring your water to a boil and add potatoes... cook until tender. Before you drain the potatoes use a ladle and get out about 2 cups of the liquid for reserve.... drain the rest, and set aside. (I cooked my bacon while I waited for the potatoes to boil, and it turned out to be the right amount of time for both)


3) Peek and finely chop your onion, and in a large pot melt butter... add your onions and cook until they are tender but not brown.


4) Add your flour to the pot, season with slat and pepper for taste, cook about 2-3 minutes...


5) Add your reserved liquid, and then start to add the potatoes, the rest of your water, milk, and sugar, mix well.... finally when all is mixed well, add your cheese and crumbled bacon... simmer over a low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.



So good with some warm rolls, pure comfort food..... Hey let me know if you make this and like, or changed anything to make it better, I am always in the search of making simple things better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOHHH that looks really good...I"m going to make that really soon!!

Leiann said...

Sounds good! I have an AWESOME potato soup recipe that was "stolen" from a restaurant in OKC. If you would like it I'll send it to you. Yummy! Can't wait to try yours. I actually have red potatoes so that might be lunch tomorrow.

sewtakeahike said...

I love potato soup! Yours looks very good! Maybe next time you could give your children the choice between a bowl of, hmm, lets say brussel sprouts and a bowl of potato soup! I think they would be very enthusiastic about the soup then!

Kim said...

yum, a potato soup with red potatoes -- gotta try that one! :)K

Melissa Lester said...

Yum, I love potato soup! My friend made some wonderful potato soup over the weekend, and I really wanted to photograph it so I could put the recipe on the blog, but I chickened out because I thought her husband might think I was silly for photographing my food before I ate it. My husband is used to this strage behavior, but I was a little embarrassed to do this at a friend's house. I'm regretting not taking a picture, though, so I think I'll just have to get over my hesitation next time. Your soup looks great and perfect for a fall day!

Claremont First Ward said...

I LOVE hearty soups. THis looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe and for stopping by!