Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Easy Peasy Refrigerator Art ....



I love crafts .... I love to make crafts .... think about the crafts I want to do .... look at others crafts on their blog ... and when I quit my job to stay home with little bit, I had this disturbed notion that I would suddenly have so much more time on my hands, because some how I forgot how much work a little person can be.... so lately I have a bunch of things bookmarked that I want to try that I just have not had the time to get to yet....


Well, one day I was at home and I actually had some time to myself, so I decided that I was going to make marble magnets ... I had seen this idea floating around the web alot, and I thought I would try my hand at it....



Things you will need:

Clear flat marbles of any size ... you can find these in the floral section, they are generally used to fill vases ... I found mine at the Dollar Tree.....






Next you pour thru magazines, old catalogs, bits of scrap booking paper and find pics that make you happy ... use your imagination ... I wanted a leopard one, and I found a pic of a women wearing a leopard print coat and it worked perfect....

Glue ... I used Aleene's Tacky glue ... it works fast and dries clear....




Small magnets ... they can either be one that you glue on or mine had a sticky back....


OK, here comes the rocket science part of this ... you can raise your hand anytime you have a question ...


Once you have found what you want to use for your magnet, gently squeeze some glue on the picture, spread it around evenly and slap that marble down, and let it dry ...



Here are my marbles glued to a page I ripped out of a Serena & Lily catalog ... they have fantastic prints and this was just the swatch page ....
Once dry, cut those suckers out, put your magnet on the back and presto you have created your very own refrigerator art .... my kids loved these, and now when we get new catalogs, they are looking for pics to make magnets ... I am thinking we will find some cute little tins and give some away as teacher presents, or these would make cute little "extra" presents because you could totally customize them for the recipient....
here is some of our refrigerator art....










I will warn ya'll, these can be addictive once you start making them.... this group took me about an hour and I want to make more, but we are running out of room on our refrigerator.....

Lots of Love ....
Jennie





























7 comments:

Jen said...

These are so fun to make. I have a little circle punch that is just the right size, so I first punch the pics / patterned paper, then stick onto the marble, then pop the magnet on the back. It makes cutting them out so much easier.

tiarastantrums said...

oh - these are fantastic! - I think my kids would love to do this one!!

Joe, Christina, & Rocky said...

I love making these with pictures/patterns - they make great gifts! The one thing I picked up on in college though (I went to art school) was to get some foil tape (at any hardware store) and cut thin strips to wrap around it and finish it off with. It eliminates the need for the glue (I could always see the glue and it drove me crazy). A cheap spoon will smooth out the foil and it gives it an awesome professional look. I put a really poor-quality phone pic of one here:
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/crisss99/?action=view&current=foil.jpg

Unknown said...

i love your idea about teacher gifts! i am so making these this weekend in my spare time...ha!

Aubrey said...

OMGoodness! Could these be any more FAB?!? I love this idea. Yet another item to add to my hobby lobby list!

jenn said...

This is so cool. I'm definitely going to try this.

Covered In Crafts said...

Cool! You do girl! That's pretty much exactly how you make those pendants too. Hobby lobby in NLR has bails if you want to make little round pendants. :)