Thursday, December 11, 2008

Writers Workshop....




Hello, Hello, Hello..... it is that time again..... Mama Kat over at Mama's Losin' It has put up her 5 prompts for Writers Workshop......



The Prompts:


1.) Allergies much?
2.) Worst dentist experience ever.
3.) Describe a "new road" you've taken in your life.
4.) What would you say to a mouse who could talk?
5.) Who is the best listener you know? What makes him or her such a good listener?



Drum roll please .... I have chosen prompt # 2.......



I am going to put a twist on this writing today, because once upon a time I was a Dental Assistant, and I am going to tell ya'll about the worst experience I have ever had while working at a dentists office...... all names have been changed to protect the innocent....



Well girls and boys, it was a normal day, no different than any other in the world of dentistry, we had cleaned some teeth and put in some fillings, and the day was winding down, then THEY came in. It was a lovely little women, who we will call Betty, who desperately needed to have the dentist look at her brothers' tooth, he was in alot of pain and may need it to be pulled, we will call him Norm. This did not seem to be a big deal, we dealt with toothaches all day long, but she told us there was something we needed to know about Norm (who we had not seen yet).


Betty told us that Norm was a big ol' sweety, and he should give us no problems, BUT that he was a PARANOID DELUSIONAL SCZIOPHRENTIC, who was afraid of needles and pain and the dentist, so if we needed to pull a tooth, we could not numb him. This was alot to take in, but then we saw him. Betty went outside to get Norm, and in walked a monstrosity of a man.... he probably stood about 6' 3'' or more and weighed about 250-300 lbs, he looked like a feakin' line backer or something else that is big and can hurt me real bad. The dentist and I just looked at each in shock.


We decided to give it the ol' college try, so I ushered Norm back to a room and got him comfortable in the chair. Betty came back with us, because she seemed to keep him calm, and we needed all the help we could get. The dentist and I had a quick chat out in the hall, discussing what we would do if Norm got agitated, because neither one of us could take him out if he decided to go postal on us, and we decided that it was every dentist or dental assistant for them self.


We head into the room, Norm is getting nervous, Betty is talking him down.... we put our gloves and masks on, and tell Norm that everything is going to be alright, and we begin to examine his teeth. I have never been so nervous about getting bit, this man was HUGE and I really did not want to lose a finger.... Norm is sweating, I am sweating, the dentist is sweating.... we found the offending tooth and YES it needed to be pulled.... AND it was a molar, so we would have to cut his gum a little to get it out, and remember we could NOT numb him .....


I won't bore you with the details, but there was some pulling, some cutting, some suction, some gauze and about 20 minutes later, Norm was a happy camper.... he bear hugged myself and the dentist, and we were happy that all went well, but we were never so happy to see Betty and Norm go......



I have a ton of other bad experiences, like the time we had to pull all the teeth in a 17 year old boys head, because he thought that if he swished with mouthwash everyday he did not need to brush his teeth, and all his teeth were rotten..... yuck, yuck, yuck!!!!!



Everyone, have a great day and remember to brush, brush, brush!!!!


7 comments:

Michelle said...

I think we tend to forget that you all must have some pretty horrible stories of your own!

I take very good care of my teeth and my hygenist always thanks me for that. She said that if I saw some of the mouths she see I would understand why she enjoys patients like me.

Christina said...

GREAT story! I really like your writing style! And, I think I'll go brush my teech again, now. I don't like going to the dentist!!!

Mama Wheaton said...

How scarey for you adn now I am off to brush my teeth.

Aubrey said...

LOL
You brave, brave woman. I bet you have some more good stories!

S Club Mama said...

I'll have to come back to read this (I'm going to have a LOT of reading to do next week ha), but I wanted to thank you for your congratulations and tell you that we aren't finding out the sex. :S I know. I kind of want to this time but Big A doesn't, so we'll wait. Although we only have a girl named picked out so that's probably what it'll be hahaha

Kimmy said...

Wow! That would be very scary! My husband actually resembles the size you indicated but he is 6'5" so I can so understand the scaryness one can bring with a disorder as "Norm". Yeah for a successful visit!! :o)

My Chocolate Heart said...

Jennie,

You have a surprise waiting for you on my blog!

Blessings,
Jennie