OK, here is my problem, since we have just moved, and all of our stuff is not unpacked and I have been sick, we have not had a home cooked meal in so long, we have forgotten how to use the kitchen utensils. Our normal meals lately have been takeout, cereal, grilled cheese and soup (does that count as cooking?), or the wonderful meal we call "Fend for Yourself", which means grab whatever you can reach, stick it in the microwave and stop complaining. I am from this new generation of women who put such high standards on our selves that we never quite achieve all we think we should. I have major guilt over not baking enough, cooking enough, making cute organic bio-degradable crafts with my kids, but you know what, my kids love me no matter what. Miss S, my 6 year old, made her request for our first official new home meal last week, this is how our conversation went:
"Mommy, can you make me a cantaloupe?"
"No, honey, I can buy you a cantaloupe, but not make you one."
"Mommy, but you made it before, you know that cantaloupe with the ketchup on top."
"Do you mean a MEATLOAF?"
"Yeah, Mommy, cantaloupe with ketchup, that is what I want. Oh yeah, and smashed potaters (that is what she calls them) and corn."
Well, who can so no to that, so this weekend I am making meatloaf. Miss M came home last night and her birthday is next week and she has requested pot roast and our families secret Jello Salad for her instead of cake. So I know at least 2 meals I need to make, my problem is right now with t he move and sickness and just being tired and pregnant I have a hard time involving myself in cooking anything that takes longer than 2o minutes.
I am making a promise right now that I am going to troll the Internet and find wonderful, nutritious recipes that are fast and easy. Slow cooker recipes will work too, because just like every other Mom, I love me some slow cooker recipes. I really love the ones that are like, 5 ingredients or less. My kids are easy, our standard list of meals goes like this: Tacos, Sloppy Joes, Grilled cheese and soup, something thrown in the crock pot, meatloaf, and then the fend for yourself nights.
SO, if you have a great recipe that is easy and fast and hopefully 7 ingredients or less, lets swap and help out all moms who have Martha Stewart ambitions but just don't quite make it, who knows, we may just start a new revolution.
6 comments:
try www.supercook.com. you put in the ingredients you have and it comes up with a recipe.
our latest faves are the campbells meals that you just add chicken to. they take awhile to cook, but the prep is super easy. also thursday night pizza night - survivor, lost, pizza - who can go wrong with that! have you seen the jessica seinfeld cookbook? combines veggies into traditional meals? good for when you have your baby - you can puree veggies for baby and then sneak them into the other food. honestly you can't taste the veggies at all.
i like food:) have a great day!
First time at your site. Came via Tip Junkie.
Here are two of my favorites!
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
2 pounds lean stew beef, cubed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz can sliced mushrooms
1 envelope mushroom gravy
2 tbsp sour cream (or more)
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
egg noodles
Combine beef, soup, mushrooms, and gravy in crock pot. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours. Blend sour cream with flour; stir into beef stroganoff. Cook about 15 more minutes, until well heated. Serve over cooked egg noodles.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas (more than 7 ingredients, but a few are just spices)
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
2 cans cream of chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
1 can diced green chilies
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper(or not, if you don't like spicy food)
1 tsp cumin
2-3 cups shredded cheese
10 flour tortillas, medium sized
Mix cooked chicken, soup, sour cream, chilies, and spices in a bowl. Spoon a small amount (about 2 tbsp) of mixture into a tortilla and top with a pinch of cheese. Roll tortilla and place into greased dish seam-side down. Continue until all tortillas are filled. You will have a lot of mixture left over. Spread remaining mixture over top of tortillas in dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over mixture. Bake covered at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5-10 more minutes.
i forgot the most important part. ziploc microwave steam bags. you can cook veggies and meat in them in no time (under 10 min.) makes pureeing so much easier.
Here's a great quick and easy soup recipe. It is so yummy! Roasted Red Pepper Soup (tastes more like tomato soup). Check it out at my blog - here's the link directly to the recipe and photo. There are only 5 ingredients!
http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/dinner-time-roasted-red-pepper-soup/
Linked to you from Tip Junkie! I think I'll blog about my recipe if you want to hop over and take a look. I've been meaning to post it... this is just the motivation I need... :)
What a great idea.Is there anything particular that yourfamily loves?Chicken?Pork?Pastas?
Post a Comment